In 1745, Richard was contacted by Thomas Fitzgerald, the Earl of Kildare, requesting him to lease some land east of St. Stephen’s Green. On the land Thomas Fitzgerald built his new palatial home, called Kildare House, completed in 1748 – now known as Leinster House, home of the Irish Parliament. The building of Kildare House was a huge success and it sparked the interest of other wealthy and influential people of the time, to build in the same area. Richard Fitzwilliam contracted John Ensor, Architect, to design the outline of Merrion Square and the streets immediately adjoining it. Ensor himself later designed a number of the houses built on the site. Fitzwilliam, his Architect John Ensor, and his Agent Bryan Fagan, drew up comprehensive plans for the new development. They wanted a uniformity in the style of the houses built. Each house would be 3.5 stories high over basement. Sash windows and front doors all to be of the same size. The materials used would also be uniform. For example, the bricks used in the front of the houses were produced in the Fitzwilliam owned brickworks in Merrion. The granite used in the pillars, window surrounds and sills, door frames, front steps all came from the granite quarries in Ticknock, again owned by Fitzwilliam.
All the buildings were to be used for Residential Purposes, no shops or Public Houses (bars) were permitted. Parcels of land/sites were sold in lots to allow for the building of 2 or 3 houses. The first leases were sold and building started in 1762. The terms of the leases ensured that the exteriors represented a strong uniform Georgian Elevation. Strongly worded terms were required as there were a variety of different builders and owners of sites. From the start, this area was clearly well designed to meet the needs of these Georgians, prestigious luxurious residential homes, built on wide open streets, with Georgian Squares (communal gardens), including long rear gardens and stable lanes to the rear.